This is a hill station lying on the spur of the Dhauladhar range about 17 kms north- east of Kangra town. This hill station is wooded with oak and conifer trees and snow capped mountains enfold three sides of the town while the valley stretches in front. The snowline is perhaps more easily accessible at Dharamshala than at any other hill resort and it is possible to make a day's trek to a snow-point after an early morning's start. Dharamshala is also the headquarter of the Kangra district. This little town attracts tourists from across the world that comes here to experience the pulse of an ancient civilization. In fact, many say the altitude and weather of this place recreates the original Tibetan environment. Life is every bit Tibetan here, from shops selling traditional Tibetan arts and handicrafts to the aroma of Tibetan dishes that temptingly hangs in the air all the time.
In 1905, tragedy struck Dharamshala when an earthquake leveled it completely. After its reconstruction, Dharamshala flourished as a quiet health resort. It is divided into two distinct parts. Lower Dharamshala has civil offices and business establishments with courts. Kotwali bazaar and Upper Dharamshala comprise of places with names which bear witness to its history like Mcleodgunj and Forsythe Ganj. Since 1960, when it became a temporary headquarter of His Holiness the Dalai Lama, Dharamshala has risen to international fame as "The Little Lhasa in India". Mcleodgunj is 9 km from Dharamshala.
In and around Dharamshala, one can visit the Kangra Art museum at Kotwali bazar, War memorial, Kunal Pathri temple and tea gardens on way to Kunal Pathri. There is also a beautiful Cricket stadium in the city facing mighty Dhauladhar.
- Dharamkot: Situated on the crest of hill this picnic spot affords a panoramic view of the Kangra valley, Pong Dam Lake and Dhauladhar ranges.
- Jawalamukhi Temple: The famous temple of Jwalamukhi is 30 kms from Kangra and 56 kms from Dharamshala. Dedicated to the "GODDESS OF LIGHT", the temple is one of the most popular Hindu temples in northern India. There is no idol of any kind the flame is considered as a manifestation of the goddess. An eternally burning and shining blue flame emanates from the rock sanctum and is fed by the priests with the offerings of devotees. The golden tower (dome) of the temple was a gift from the Emperor Akbar. Two important fairs are held here during the Navratras in earlier April and mid October. Hotel accommodation, Dharamshala, rest houses and HPTDC hotels with modern facilities are available for visitors to the shrine. (Please also visit the exclusive web site for the temple namely.
- Kareri: 22 kms from Kotwali Bazar it has a rest house for night halt. On way visit Kareri Lake situated at the distance of 13kms from rest house. Durbasa and Kali temples are located here.
- Kunal PathrI: A level 3 kms walk from Kotwali Bazar leads upto the rock temple of the local goddess.
- Masroor Temples: Known for its monolithic rock temples, Masroor is 15kms south of Kangra. There are 15 rock cut temples in Indo-Aryan style and richly carved. The temples partly ruined now are profusely decorated with sculptural ornamentations, conceived in the same manner as the great temple of Kailash at Elora in Maharashtra with which they bear a striking resemblance. The main temple is dedicated to Lord Ram, Lakshman and Sita.
- McLeod Ganj: A number of residential buildings, restaurants, antique and curio shops, together with famous Tibetan institutions have lent importance to McLeod Ganj. The Budha temple is situated opposite to the present abode of His Holiness, the Dalai Lama and is worth a visit.
- Nurpur: 66 kms from Dharamshala, Nurpur is famous for an old fort and a temple of Brij Raj. Nurpur acquired its name in 1672, when Jahangir, the Mughal Emperor named it after his wife Nurjahan. Nurpuri shawls are good. There is a PWD rest house for the convenient stay of tourists.
- Chinmaya Tapovan: It is a peaceful ashram housing a 9 m high idol of Lord Hanuman, a Ram temple, a meditation hall, a school and a health center.
- St.John's Church: The church of St. John's in the wilderness lies on a motorable road between McLeod Ganj and Forsythe Ganj 8 kms from Lower Dharamshala. It has a monument of Lord Elgin, one of the Viceroys of India, who died in Dharamshala and was buried here in 1863. The Tibetan Institute Of Performing Arts (Tipa) is 1km. walk from McLeod Ganj and preserves a number of musical dance and theatrical traditions of Tibet. It holds an annual 10-day folk opera commencing on the second Saturday of April. There is also a Tibetan handicraft centre situated at McLeod Ganj and a Sunday market is organized at about 10 minutes walk from here.
- Trilokpur: It is situated 41 kms from Dharamshala and can be approached by road the natural cave temple of Trilokpur contains a stalactite and stalagamite is dedicated to Shiva. High on the ridge of the cave are ruins of a palace and baradari (audience hall) of Lehna Singh Majitha, Governor of Kangra hills during the Sikh rule.
- Triund (2975 m): 20 kms from Dharamshala, Triund lies at the feet of the perpetually snow clad Dhauladhar at the height of 2975 m. The snow line starts at ilaqa, 5 kms from Triund. It is a popular picnic and trekking spot. Accommodation is available in the rest house of Forest Department, but water has to be fetched from a distance of about 2 kms Ropeway is being installed from Dharamshala to this place.
- War Memorial: Set amidst beautiful surroundings, this memorial is built near the entry point to Dharamshala to commemorate the memory of those who fought valiantly for the defence of the motherland.